Shop the Neighbourhood will be back in 2015
October 30, 2015 / Posted by SDC Vieux-Montréal
An event that encourages local business
Shop the Neighbourhood is an original idea from Yellow Pages, a business that has been working with small Canadian businesses for over a century. This event helps businesses acquire new customers and contributes to the growth of local economies. Yellow Pages really understand how important local shopping and neighbourhood businesses are to our communities.
Invented in February 2013 in downtown Oakville, Ontario, the first Shop the Neighbourhood event was held in Greater Toronto on November 30, 2013. The campaign stretched across the nation in 2014, with many communities from coast to coast joining in. Timed to fall between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, a day when Canadians are most likely to shop online or in the stores of our neighbours to the south, the event reminded residents that their dollars make a bigger social and economic impact when they are spent locally.
Shop the Neighbourhood is a free national initiative that celebrates small businesses and reminds Canadians how shopping locally makes a difference in all our lives.
A few figures
The results of a nation-wide survey carried out by Ipsos for Yellow Pages reveal that:
• Over 750,000 Canadian answered the call and shopped locally during Shop the Neighbourhood.
• These people spent an average of $119 that day, and 76% of that money ($90) was spent in businesses that were taking part in Shop the Neighbourhood.
• Over $89 million was injected in neighbourhood economies at a time of the year when consumers are normally turning to foreign retailers and big online stores to make their purchases.
• The support of businesses, consumers and trade associations spread the word about the event, then in its second year and known by 34% of Canadians.
• Of these people, one in two changed their shopping behaviour in response to the campaign’s message about the importance of supporting small neighbourhood businesses.
Next edition: Saturday, November 28, 2015
This year, Shop the Neighbourhood will take place on November 28, 2015, and participation is once again FREE for all retailers. To find out more or sign up your business, go to shoptheneighbourhood.ca.
The SDC Vieux-Montréal is proud to encourage local shopping.
Register your business: HERE
Access the 2015 toolbox: HERE